- Tiago Marques over Samuel Herzog via triangle
- Tanquinho wins on points over Cobrinha
- Leo Lo over Lucas Lepri via points
- Marcus Souza over Vitor Estima on points
- Andre Galvao gets the win over Barral via injury (Barral's leg got injured during a sweep attempt by Galvao)
- Rodolfo Viera bow & arrow chokes Pedro Peres
- Brago Neto over Jose Junior on points
- Rodrigo Cavaca defeats his student, Buchecha, 7-2
- Michelle Nicolini over Mackenzie Dern via points
- Bia Mesquita wins via points over Luanna Alzuguir
- Caroline de Lazzer over Fernando Mazzelli via advantages
- Gabby Garcia chokes Tammy Grieco
The heavyweight finals found Ace Jiu Jitsu coach Buchecha fighting his teacher Cavaca, which is just awesome! Here is what Buchecha had to say about fighting his coach:
"For us it was like a dream come true to get to the finals together because we have dreamt about it since 2010 when I got my black belt. We never close out any tournaments so we’re happy that we have reached that goal. And we are happy to do a fight because we don’t like close outs– that’s why we decided to fight."
I really admire this attitude! Nice to see the fighters recognizing that folks pay good money to see good jiu jitsu, regardless of affiliation. Someone do us a solid and translate this into Portuguese and send to the Miyao brothers please.
On another note... when do you think Gabby Garcia will want to challenge herself? I am not sure I have a solid answer for the girl, but watching her demolish her competition is not nearly as exciting as watching Godzilla tear through downtown Tokyo! Not to any one's surprise Garcia won the absolute as well. She does not seem challenged, and the overwhelming size difference makes me wonder just how technical she is. Fighting in the mens division is a lose - lose for all involved but what other solutions are there?
As for the male absolute we were treated to a rematch of last years bout between Buchecha and Rodolfo Viera. I will say these three short things: AMAZING transition and sweep work on both parts / I would HATE to ref this match & the mutual respect and sportsmanship at the end should be required viewing by every student in every academy!